The Hut Group aims to be the World’s leading Online Health & Beauty Destination. We are currently the UK’s leading multi-website online retailer with rapidly growing global operations and a unique proprietary technology platform. With over 16 million customers worldwide and 400 million visits to our sites annually, we understand the importance of reliable technology and a data-driven expertise.
Our software is the core of our business and enables the company to continue to grow and thrive. The Group’s industry leading and proprietary technology platform powers its own consumer sites plus global media partners and brand owners, including: Unilever, Nintendo and the Daily Mail Group. We develop all of our own applications in-house with our Development Delivery Teams. In order to enable our Delivery Teams to continue to achieve, we are always looking for bright and intellectual people who are happy to push boundaries and really challenge the status quo.
Led by world-class technologists with a diverse range of backgrounds ranging from Silicon Valley tech giants (Google, Amazon) through to Hedge funds and Algorithmic Trading Firms. You will be surrounded by highly intellectual and passionate colleagues, all with the common goal to help us grow this business globally, fast.
UK2 @ THG
Backed by global giants KKR and Blackrock, The Hut Group’s acquisition of UK2 was a strategic opportunity to develop the existing proprietary technology platform behind our health and beauty brands. It also enhances the server infrastructure, programmatic development and platform security.
As veterans in the hosting industry, UK2 Group have been providing internet services on a global scale for over 15 years, pioneering the mass adoption of many breakthrough technologies. With experience which spans two decades, we have seen the online landscape alter beyond recognition, and have adapted our service offering in accordance with the rapid developments in hardware capabilities, data transfer speeds and global business demands.
The Engineer/Developer will have the following skills / experience:
- Perl programmer experience or similar (Ideally modern Perl)
- Willingness to learn Perl Programming
- Development practices, ideally in an agile environment
- Some experience of web interfaces
You will also ideally have the following skills / experience but is not essential:
- MySQL or other modern relational database systems
- Dancer, Mojolicious, Catalyst, or other MVC web frameworks
- DBIx::Class or ORM systems in general
- Knowledge RESTful API design
- ‘NoSQL’ databases
- Scaling and optimising web-based applications
- Designing high-availability systems
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
What’s in it for you
- Competitive Salary, plus a bonus
- You’ll be joining a growing, intelligent team that will drive business change
- You’ll have the opportunity to make an impact within the team, applying the skills and methodologies you’ve learnt
- You’ll be working for a company with an excellent culture, in a friendly and fast paced environment
- You’ll be able to react to change with backing from the business
- You'll have the opportunity to solve complex business/technical problems