Solutions Engineer - UK2
The Hut Group:
Built on a foundation of industry-leading technology, a world-class team and a scientific approach to building global brands, The Hut Group are fast becoming the world’s most important online organisation.
We are in the early stages of a once in a lifetime journey that will see the Group become the biggest Internet company to ever emerge from Britain, reaching global scale.
UK2 @ THG
Backed by global giants KKR and Blackrock, The Hut Group’s acquisition of UK2 was a strategic opportunity to develop the existing proprietary technology platform behind our health and beauty brands. It also enhances the server infrastructure, programmatic development and platform security.
UK2 Group (UK2) is one of the largest Internet hosting companies in the world, with over 1 million domains, 20 data centers and 200 employees. Headquartered in London, UK2 supports 24/7 global operations from offices in the U.S. and Ukraine. UK2 has experienced steady growth for nearly 20 years, with leading digital brands like VI.net, 100TB.com, VPS.net, UK2.net, Midphase.com and Westhost.com. UK2 is a global web hosting services provider, offering domain registrations, shared, cloud and dedicated hosting.
Our VI.net brand (Virtual Internet UK Ltd) is looking for a customer facing Solutions Engineer to be part of our team in London. The ideal candidate will have a great desire to learn. The team is focused on delivering 24/7 availability to critical business applications in order that customers can focus on their business and not worry about technology.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Providing support on our customer facing infrastructure, focusing on maintaining high availability through proactive measures and following VI procedures:
- Identify causes and resolve complex server infrastructure issues escalated by other internal teams, or Problem Management processes, using administration tools and utilities and troubleshooting methodologies.
- Proactively update our clients & partners on the status of reported incidents.
- Create and update incident records and notes.
- Participate in a distributed on-call out of hours rota for support escalations
- Follow internal processes using supplied tools to keep information and documentation up to date.
Skills, Experience and Characteristics of the Candidate:
- Excellent technical experience with Windows, Linux & VMware (ESXi/vSphere/vCloud Director)
- At least one year of experience with the following is required:
- Load Balancers (HA Proxy/LoadBalancer.org/pfSense)
- Cisco ASA Firewalls
- MySQL/MS SQL - Replication/Clustering * Proven 3rd line troubleshooting and problem management experience, from a high availability, mission critical, highly resilient, customer focussed environment.
- Ability to work in a close team, with partners and 3rd parties unsupervised.
- Good personal planning and organising to deal with an active schedule in a pressurised environment.
- Great desire to learn.
- Experience of support & implementation using Linux (ideally CentOS/Ubuntu)
- Experience of control panels such as cPanel, Plesk and Webmin.
- Troubleshooting of Apache & IIS and/or MS Clustering or load balancing.
- Experience with any of the following is desirable: cloud computing, enterprise software, enterprise networking, including sub-netting and firewalls, SAN and storage technologies.
- Software based replication knowledge and experience (rsync, DFS etc).
- VCP Certification
What’s in it for you
- Competitive Salary
- You’ll be joining a growing, intelligent team that will drive business change
- You’ll have the opportunity to make an impact within the team, applying the skills and methodologies you’ve learnt
- You’ll be working for a company with an excellent culture, in a friendly and fast paced environment
- You’ll be able to react to change with backing from the business
- You'll have the opportunity to solve complex business/technical problems