Senior Software Engineer
Opening date: 19th December 2018
Closing date: 19th January 2019
Senior Software Engineer
£50,000 - £75,000
The Hut Group aims to be the World’s leading Online Health & Beauty Destination. We are currently the UK’s leading multi-website online retailer with rapidly growing global operations and a unique proprietary technology platform. The Hut Group Platform supports more than 140 million global website visitors, 5 million customers and 8 million orders dispatched worldwide across our market leading stores including www.myprotein.com,
www.lookfantastic.com and www.coggles.com.
Our software is the core of our business and enables the company to continue to grow and thrive. The Group’s industry leading and proprietary technology platform powers its own consumer sites plus global media partners and brand owners, including: Unilever, Nintendo and the Daily Mail Group. We develop all of our own applications in-house with our development Delivery Teams. In order to enable our Delivery Teams to continue to achieve, we need Senior and Lead Developers with commercial experience to lead the creation, design and development of software to the highest quality with the resource, tools and support that we will offer you.
In an agile environment, you will use practices including: pair programming, estimating, feature planning, refactoring and TDD. A Senior/Lead Developer is capable of taking a user story from the initial idea through to production quality, working software, whilst being able to use their experience to bring knowledge and ideas to the team as a whole. Acting as a mentor to their team members, they should be able to train and support them through their skills development.
You will work in a collaborative working unit using modern Java and open-source technologies, where you should be able to take a lead in the design of a solution that fulfils the business need and in doing so, the architectural goals of the platform. Multi-disciplined and passionate, as a Lead Developer you will use your initiative and take ownership of tasks and situations. You will be expected to contribute to the design of solutions and work closely with Technical Leads and the architecture team in raising any issues or concerns where appropriate. We promote a challenging, fast moving and rewarding working atmosphere where you’ll be given the chance to work with some of the best Developers in the country. Your contribution will have a visible impact in one of the fastest growing technology companies in Europe.
Experience with the following technologies is essential:
- Java 8
- Spring Core
- Relational databases
- Continuous Integration
- Linux/UNIX experience
- NoSQL databases (i.e. Couchbase, CouchDB)
- Spring MVC, Security
- RESTful webservices
- Build tools (e.g. Ant, Maven, Gradle)
- HTML & CSS
- Strive to create the simplest solution to any problem, using the right tool for the job.
- Communicate the design in a way that other team members understand.
- Improve performance of the product to meet constraints.
- Ensure production quality code.
- Develop using the red-green-refactor approach. The “TDD way”.
- Write code that self-documents.
- Assist the Project Manager and Technical Lead in release planning.
- Support the production of technical estimation and calibration.
- Perform code reviews with junior developers.
- Contribute to design in discussion with Technical Leads and the architecture team.
What’s in it for you
- Competitive Salary, plus a bonus
- You’ll be joining a growing, intelligent team that will drive business change
- You’ll have the opportunity to make an impact within the team, applying the skills and methodologies you’ve learnt
- You’ll be working for a company with an excellent culture, in a friendly and fast paced environment
- You’ll be able to react to change with backing from the business and you'll have the opportunity to solve complex problems