Senior Software Engineer
DescriptionOpening Date - 04/04/2019
Closing Date - 03/05/2019
£55,000 - £75,000
THG is one of the fastest growing online retailers on the planet. We have over a decade of building and growing brands in the Beauty and Wellness sectors, across over 140 markets. We specialise in creating brilliant digital brand experiences and we aim to be the World's leading Online Health & Beauty Destination. We are currently the UK's leading multi-website online retailer with rapidly growing global operations and we currently have over 16 million customers worldwide.
We are building a world-class business with global ambitions, a proprietary technology platform, and disruptive business model. Our culture is fast-paced and ambitious - we like to move twice as fast as you might think is possible. That's how the company operates, and it is part of the DNA that has led to our incredible growth. We have over 4,000 diverse, smart thinkers - our people are unquestionably our strength. Wherever in the world they are, whatever their role, we encourage our people to share the smart thinking, and give them the support to see their ideas made real. We have built an environment that empowers our people to achieve their full potential, creating innovative digital experiences that deliver results.
As part of our hyper growth we seek to hire and develop well-rounded, commercially astute, ambitious people that can bring fresh and innovative thinking to THG and drive us forward.
About the division
About the Technology @ THG
Our software is the core of our business and enables the company to continue to grow and thrive. The Group’s industry leading and proprietary technology platform powers its own consumer sites plus global media partners and brand owners, including: Unilever, Nintendo and the Daily Mail Group. We develop all of our own applications in-house with our Development Delivery Teams. In order to enable our Delivery Teams to continue to achieve, we are always looking for bright and intellectual people who are happy to push boundaries and really challenge the status quo.
Led by world-class technologists with a diverse range of backgrounds ranging from Silicon Valley tech giants (Google, Amazon) through to Hedge funds and Algorithmic Trading Firms. You will be surrounded by highly intellectual and passionate colleagues, all with the common goal to help us grow this business globally, fast. Our current 500 strong Tech Division are currently looking at how we can further develop our platform to continue the success’ that we have had!
You will be leading a small team of software engineers that is owning a specific domain within our state of the art warehouse management system whilst trying to find the best solutions to the operational challenges in our warehouse(s).
- Strive to create the simplest solution to any problem, using the right tool for the job.
- Communicate the design in a way that other team members understand.
- Improve performance of the product to meet constraints.
- Ensure production quality code
- Write code that self-documents.
- Assist the Project Manager and Technical Lead in release planning.
- Support the production of technical estimation and calibration.
- Perform code reviews with junior developers.
- Contribute to design in discussion with Technical Leads and the architecture team.
Experience with the following technologies is essential:
- Java 8
- Relational databases
- Continuous Integration
- Linux/UNIX experience
- NoSQL databases (e.g. Couchbase, Elastic)
- RESTful webservices
- Build tools (e.g. Ant, Maven, Gradle)
- Deployment tools such as Ansible or Chef, or containerisation technologies such as Docker
- Previous experience working with warehouse management systems
- Knowledge of moving/migrating from cloud to on premises data centres
What's in it for you:
- Competitive Salary
- You’ll be joining a growing, young, and intelligent team that will drive business change
- You’ll have the opportunity to make an impact within the team, applying the skills and methodologies you’ve learnt
- You’ll be working for a company with an excellent culture, in a friendly and fast paced environment
- You’ll be able to react to change with backing from the business and you'll have the opportunity to solve complex problems